Monday, January 2, 2012

new years projects

Over the weekend I worked on finishing a couple small projects. One is a baby quilt for my friends N and E back in Seattle. The other is a top that I finished a few months ago and just got around to quilting. It feels good to check things off the list!

First, the lattice quilt. I have the deals on this project here. I quilted it by following about 1/4 inch on each side of the seams to make a cool looking grid across the top. For binding, I found some blue in my stash that doesn't really match but it gives the quilt a nice little detail. I once read that quilts are more interesting if they aren't matchy-matchy. My new computer died and I'm waiting for it to get fixed, so the pictures aren't edited as nicely as I usually do - my laptop doesn't have the fancy version of Paint on it. Yes, I'm super high tech!


The full quilt and a detail of the quilting and binding. Pattern is super awesome and online here for free!


The other quilt that I'm finishing up is the wonky baby quilt. This was an exciting and fun quilt to work on that I first mentioned when I got the sweet blue, magenta, yellow and black/white print fabric that would be used for this project. I finished the top yesterday and will baste the backing tonight and quilt it tomorrow so that my mom can take it back home with her when she leaves on Wednesday.

 Of course, I don't have a lot of floor space in my tiny apartment so I laid it out in sections on top of a drying rack. I used the old camera phone trick to try to remember what order to sew them in. Of course, that failed a little bit!

And here it is... a little detail at least! I'll post a full shot when I get it quilted and finished. I made 20 blocks that were 6.5 inches square and laid them together. I thought about doing a thin white sashing between them but didn't have enough time or energy to entertain that idea for too long! I did big, fat boards in Kona White. I really like how it ended up looking. Clean and sharp and very modern and funky!

I have a lot of projects going on right now, so I'll be back soon with more updates on what is going on in my little sewing lab :)

1 comment:

  1. E, that baby quilt is gorgeous! They are going to absolutely love the colors and the stylish quirkiness, and I can't wait to see it in person! Happy New Year, lady! xox, emilie

    ReplyDelete