Saturday, July 16, 2011

Raspberry Ripple - WIP

This is another of my current projects. My mom asked for a quilt (well, I kind of offered to make her one too!) and I decided on the "Raspberry Ripple" quilt from Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts. Of course, mine is not raspberry by any means. Mom wanted greens and purples and I picked up some Sip of Summer strip sets from Connecting Threads to make it happen. I pulled all of the green/purple strips out for this quilt and left the red/orange/yellow ones for another project I'm working on. I picked a light brown Kona solid for the solid color (I think it is Khaki?) and set to work. I'm doing the quilt just under queen sized, so there are a zillion blocks to make.

Here is the "pile of progress" so far :)

You can see some half square triangles that I have finished along with some sets to make nine-patch blocks. And, of course, I did the math AFTER I started sewing and realized I needed 10 more blocks than what my current supply would allow so I have some more strips to sew up and chop into nine patch blocks. The bright side is I can use that pretty flower print in the quilt now!

The HSTs are going to be made into two blocks, one is a diamond block and the other is a pinwheel block. They are set on point and alternate to create an awesome looking quilt. Here is a "mock up" of a diamond block:


I think my mom will like it. I've been on the hunt for a long arm quilter to do the top - there is no way this beast is going to fit into my little Brother! Alternately, maybe this is my chance to justify getting a mid arm machine so I can quilt it myself. Choices, choices.... I like to do things myself (sewing, home repair, cooking, you name it! I would make a good husband AND wife!).

1 comment:

  1. I have a Juki TL98E and I do my quilts on it. So far the biggest about 60 by 86 but I'm going to do a king size on it. Wish me luck. I don't have a frame, but I know several quilters who do, and they do some lovely big quilts.

    ReplyDelete